Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Godfather

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100520182356/godfather/images/thumb/4/47/The_Godfather.jpg/259px-The_Godfather.jpgThe opening salvo: a review of a classic American movie that pertains to our most recent conversation topic.

The Godfather is the quintessential American gangster movie, but I'm not ashamed to say I didn't watch it until I was forced to in a film class, and I didn't really like it all that much.  As I recall, the characters were all unlikable, and the subject material  was not to my taste.  However, I can't deny the movie has staying power.  Why is that, though?  I think there are three main reasons: the technical excellence of the movie, the detailed world and plot, and the love we Americans have for a great bad guy.

Francis Ford Coppola directs the complicated story well and gets great performances out of his actors.  Even though I'm not a fan of Al Pacino or Marlon Brando, I admire their skills in this movie.  The movie looks great and perfectly creates New York in the 1940s and '50s.  But I think the real draw of this film is the concept of the good-boy-gone-bad combined with the idea of loyalty to one's family, even if that means crime--perhaps especially if that means crime.  The US has a history of memorializing and glamorizing crooks: Billy the Kid, Bonnie and Clyde, and Al Capone, just to name a few!

With all of this talk, I've almost made myself want to see this film again!  Have you seen it?  What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0piC75vbKgk

    India, sorry I can't use the e-mail you sent to me, so I leave the video at here!
    I'm Carino=]!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carino! I guess the email wasn't actually me, but rather the website's automatic address... or something. I just started the video, but it looks too unsettling to watch at night. I need to watch it during the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, the e-mail said "no-reply@....."
    haha
    hope you enjoy the video!!
    (and sorry for I can't find the English subtitle..

    ReplyDelete
  4. the audio is all english, so that's fine! also, my email is now accessible if you click on my name.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion. If you are not a student in the class, please bear in mind that this blog is a learning tool and comment accordingly.